The USA Patriot Act, FISA, and Leakers/Whistleblowers
What you need to know for the final exam.
There's a lot of material about the USA Patriot Act, FISA, the Frontline Documentary
about the NSA, and Edward Snowden. These are the things you are responsible for
on the final exam:
- What is the history of FISA?
- What are the key provisions of FISA?
- USA Patriot Act
- What is the history of the USA Patriot Act?
- What are the key provisions of the USA Patriot Act?
- What is section 215 of the Patriot Act and why is it controversial?
- Who is Brandon Mayfield, what happened to him, and why is this significant?
- Protect America Act and FISA Ammendments Act
- What are they key provisions of these acts?
- National Security Letters
- What is a National Security Letter (NSL)?
- How has the use of NSLs changed over time?
- Discuss arguments in favor of and against the use of NSLs
- The Program
- When was it created and why?
- What does it do?
- How does it go beyond what is allowed under FISA?
- What was the original legal basis for The Program?
- List arguments in favor of and against The Program
- Leakers or Whistleblowers?
- Who is Thomas Drake, what did he do, what happened to him, and how do you evaluate the ethics of his actions?
- Who is Edward Snowden, what did he do, what happened to him, and how do you evaluate the ethics of his actions?
- Compare and contrast the actions of Drake and Snowden.